Right-To-Know for Parents/Guardians
As a parent of a student attending a school that is receiving Federal Title I funds, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of the teacher(s) and instructional paraprofessional(s) who instruct your child. Federal law requires every Title I school district to provide you with the requested information in a timely manner. We are happy to provide this information with you. At any time, you may ask:
- If the teacher met state qualifications and certification requirements for the grade level and subject he/she is teaching.
- If the teacher received an emergency or conditional certificate through which state qualifications were waived.
- What undergraduate or graduate degrees the teacher holds, including graduate certificates and additional degrees, and major(s) or area(s) of concentration.
- Whether your child receives help from a paraprofessional. If your child receives this assistance, we can provide you with information about the paraprofessional’s qualifications.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) which was signed into law in December 2015 and reauthorizes the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1956 (ESEA) includes additional right to know requests. At any time, parents and family members can request:
- Information on policies regarding student participation in assessments and procedures for opting out, and
- Information on required assessments that include subject matter tested, purpose of the test, source of the requirement (if applicable), amount of time it takes students to complete the test, and time and format of disseminating results.
Our staff is committed to helping your child develop the academic knowledge and critical thinking he/she needs to succeed in school and beyond. That commitment includes making sure all of our teachers and paraprofessionals meet applicable Pennsylvania state requirements. We look forward to the upcoming school year and together we will make a difference in your child’s life. If you have questions regarding your child’s teacher and/or paraprofessional, please contact the building level principal.
Lori E. Bowman
Administrator/Federal Programs Coordinator
717-845-3571 Ext. 4031