School District Of The City Of York
Phase Two K-8 Grade Continuity of Education Plan
The Pennsylvania Department of Education has issued guidance regarding school learning and we will now be implementing Phase Two of our Continuity of Education Plan for all K-8th grade students. Although school buildings remain closed at this time, teaching and learning will continue for students. Review and enrichment with teachers began on Monday, March 30, 2020. Planned Instruction for all K-8 graders will begin on Monday, May 11, 2020, and end Friday, May 29, 2020. As we move to Planned Instruction, we know parents and guardians are being asked to engage in new roles in their student’s learning. To help ease you into this work, please find below guidance:
- Students should continue to participate in their Enrichment and Review Activities of SuccessMaker, RAZ-kids, XtraMath, head sprout, and Epic! as already established in phase one of the Continuity of Education plan.
- Planned Instruction – Beginning Monday, May 11, 2020, teachers will provide planned instruction lessons via a virtual meeting platform weekly. Planned Instruction will cover content in Math, ELA, Science, Social Studies, and Encore lessons. Lessons are intended to reinforce prior learning and introduce new learning to all students.
- Virtual Meeting Platform – The platform your teachers have been utilizing to communicate (Office Hours, Class Meetings, etc) with your student will also be used during planned instruction.
- Participation – Each student, by the method available, is expected to continue working on their Enrichment and Review Activities every day, as well as attend planned instruction “virtual lessons”, that will be communicated with your student by their teachers.
- Grading – During the state-mandated closure, the District is moving from our current grading system and will now be implementing grading based on Pass and Incomplete for the fourth marking period. Participation is expected of all students in all areas of Phase one and Phase two of our Continuity of Education Plan. Grading will be based on the level of engagement of each student.
- Communicating with Teachers – All teachers have scheduled office hours to provide instructional support for students and answer questions for families. Your child’s teacher has contacted you via email, phone, or by other communication methods. Please continue to check your email and answer all phone calls on a regular basis, if possible, so you do not miss important messages.
- Expectations for Families:
- Continue communication with your child’s teacher and/or principals if you have questions.
- Establish a place for learning at home that minimizes distractions and work to establish a routine for learning at home while also being flexible when needed.
- Set realistic goals for yourself and your child(ren). We are all in this together.